środa, 2 października 2013

Activities without a vision leads nowhere

Recently I had great discussion with one of my friends about vision, goal, an idea or however you will call it. We talked why vision is so important, why we need to know how to verbalize it and why we need to share it.

Last "why" leads me to two questions that I asked:
"Do everyone in your team knows the vision that you want to share?"
"Well, it would be great, but... I don't think so."
"Do you know why it's like this?"
"You know, they've got their own visions, ideas and I let them to have it. Thanks to this they can feel free and I believe that helps to avoid micro-management."
"I understand, but let me ask you another question, because I think the problem may be somewhere else. How are you sharing your vision, how often are you doing it?"
"All the time! Through things I'm doing. I think that action is far more important than words."
"Yeah, that's true, but only if everyone knows where they are going."


I know that words without activities won't turn into nothing more. On the other hand, activities without goal can lead us nowhere.
If there is no clear, shared vision our efforts could be focused only on particular activity and after it would be done we will feel that everything is complete. And its not always true. To be honest, it's really rare situation that activity is purpose in itself. We need to know where all of those activities should lead us, because the better we know the goal the more we are involved with achieving it.
This kind of approach can lead us to better solutions, to reordering list of task to do, can help us to become more productive and effective.

There are always plenty activities to do and probably many of them weren't planned at all and are extremely urgent as well. If you know what I'm writing about I have great news for you - you're not alone.
Nowadays, most of us got more to do, than can be done and, fortunately, it possible to solve problem, at least partly. But firstly, you need to know where are you going. It will let you look at all those things on your todo's list from different perspective and maybe it will turn out, that even the most urgent issue isn't as important as you thought. Maybe some of them aren't important at all.

Without clear vision you are struggling and there is possibility, that you will put your efforts into wrong activities.
Without vision, even if you do a lot of things, it may still seems that you are standing in one place.

If it's so important for single person to know where he or she goes, you should consider how big impact on productivity and efficiency of your team well defined vision will have.
They need to know there is a reason in their efforts and activities, because without this knowledge how you can lead them anywhere?

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz